- Free advice, information and referral on most civil areas of law
- Free community legal education on a broad range of legal topics
- Free publications on a broad range of legal topics
- Law reform, lobbying and advocacy
The NRCLC provides free legal advice to disadvantaged individuals and groups who cannot afford a private solicitor. We give priority to our target groups: women; welfare recipients; people with disabilities; lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex people; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people; youth and older people.
We do not provide advice in:
- Property law
- Social security law
- Taxation law
- Bankruptcy or trusts
- Personal injury
- Immigration law
- Workers compensation
We will not give advice to:
- Employers in employment matters
- Landlords in tenancy matters
- Defendants in domestic violence matters
- Small business operators
- Neighbours in neighbourhood disputes
- People seeking a second opinion on a solicitor’s advice
Free Legal Advice & Information
To receive advice, information or a referral contact the NRCLC office on 02 6621 1000 or 1800 689 889.
We provide face to face or telephone appointments from our Lismore Office, 16 Carrington St. Appointments are Tuesdays between 9:30am and 12:30pm. Please call to book an appointment.
The NRCLC also runs a Thursday evening session between 6pm and 8:30pm. Please call to book an appointment.
A client may have up to 3 free appointments for any one matter.
We provide face to face advice at several outreach locations in Casino, Tweed Heads, Murwillumbah and Pottsville throughout the month. See the ‘Outreaches’ page for more details.