Women’s Domestic Violence and Court Advocacy Service
Who are we?
We are a free, local service that supports women and children who are experiencing domestic violence.
We have a specialist worker to help Aboriginal women, and we also help women from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
NRWDVCAS is a not-for-profit, non-government organisation auspiced by the Northern Rivers Community Legal Centre and funded by Legal Aid NSW.
How do we support women and children?
We help keep women safe
We get in touch with women who have recently experienced domestic violence and check on their physical and emotional well-being.
We identify women who are at high risk of experiencing further domestic violence, and liaise with them regarding adding them to the agenda of Safety Action Meetings (SAM) to optimise their safety.
These confidential, fortnightly safety meetings are attended by representatives from relevant local support services.
We provide women with information and referrals
We provide information about, and referrals to, support services that can help women:
- Stay safe
- Find accommodation
- Get financial support
- Get legal advice
- Get support caring for their children
- Access counselling and medical services
We support women before court, at court and after court
WDVCAS supports women through the court process:
- We talk to women about what to expect at court, and inform them of court dates and court outcomes.
- We help women understand what an Apprehended Domestic Violence Order (ADVO) is, how they can apply for one, and how an ADVO can help to keep them safe.
- We make sure women have a safe place to sit at court, and help them get the best outcome for their situation.
- We support women at the following local courts on designated ADVO list days:
How can you contact us?
Phone us on 02 6621 1044 or 1300 720 606, from 9am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, or email us at email@example.com
In an emergency, contact the police on 000 or the Domestic Violence Helpline on 1800 656 463 (NSW) OR 1800 811 811 (Qld).